WordPress has many pre-designed, beautiful templates for us to use, and indeed we are spoilt for choice as there are thousands of them for free. So, what is the best free WordPress theme? How do we choose the one that most suits our needs and fulfils our requirements?
When choosing a theme, I would recommend different themes for different kinds of websites.
Choose something that is:
♣ Simple – not too fanciful with lots of scrollables left right and centre as it will distract your readers
♣ Easy on the eye – black or dark grey words on white backgrounds works best
♣ User friendly – Clean look with easy-to-navigate menus
♣ Responsive – Many of your visitors will be accessing your site from their mobiles, make it a good experience for them. Responsive themes are optimized for mobile viewing.
Information and content-based blogs
Iconic One – The one I’m using
- Built for speed – pagespeed score of 96
- Ultra responsive, superb for viewing on mobiles
- Live customizer – easily set up your site to your likely
Twenty Sixteen – One of the most popular
- 4 featured color schemes to choose from
- Clean and harmonious look
- Set up with blogging in mind
- Fully responsive so your site looks good on any device
- Customizable front page, make yours stand out
- Flexible layout with choice of 1 or 2 columns
- Scrolling front page to captivate visitors
- Showcase portfolios – wide single views so you can show off your images
- Clean look
- Enhance your portfolio
- Specifications of featured images (Landscape: 800 x 600 pixels, Portrait: 800 x 1067 pixels, Square: 800 x 800 pixels)
- Showcase portrait-style photographs, sketches, illustrations, images, artworks
- 3 column widgets
- Tight grids
- Best for designers, photographers and artists
- Image-oriented portfolio (Landscape: 480 x 360 pixels, Portrait: 480 x 640 pixels, Square: 480 x 480 pixels)
Of course there are lots of many other choices. Before choosing, do read up the details so you have an idea of how the theme is going to work for you and what can you do with it.
One thing to note before changing themes is to backup your website, as sometimes the layout could dramatically change the appearance of your website and it might be difficult to revert back.
Have more awesome themes to share? Do leave your comments below!